Thursday, January 24, 2013

From Bacon...I Handled Shizz

Yesterday was my post-op appointment and this is where I handled shizz!

As I've mentioned (whined) before, the hubs works 2 days at a time so it was a solo day for me. I couldn't get a babysitter for Gavin so my hatred for staples in my tummy outweighed my fear of taking both boys with me to the doctor.

When the nurse scheduled my appointment, I verified, no fewer than three times, that my appointment was at 9:30. The boys are usually up at 7am, we'd plan to leave by 8am to make the 30 minute drive (expecting a one hour drive in morning traffic.)

In this cruel, cruel world a busy morning means both (BOTH!) boys decide to sleep in. Ggrrr! I finally woke them up at 7:15. (I never mentioned that Madden now sleeps from 8pm-7am and even longer sometimes!!! I'm working on having him teach his older brother!) So, while I was feeding Madden his morning bottle I decided to check my appointment online. Sure enough, my dumb appointment was at 9am!!!

We'd HAVE to be out of the house no later than 8 and pray for no traffic to make it. Which means I'd have to hurry M's bottle, get the boys dressed, pack bottles, look presentable and load up in less than 30 minutes.

I handled shizz! We were loaded at 8:07!

Inevitably, I hit EVERY red light on the way to the freeway. Two separate times I was cutoff and those two cars made it through the yellow lights leaving me first in line for the red. Jerks!

Even then, I handled shizz because I didn't even get worked up. (Might've helped that I was on the phone with Ketchup the whole time.)

I'm not sure how it happened but we made it to the hospital with 10 minutes to spare. 10 minutes to get both boys into the hospital and check in.

I loaded Madden's car seat into the stroller and was going to have Gavin walk. As soon as he saw Madden using the stroller, he started melting down. He wanted in. I thought about carrying Madden's seat and trying to push the 30+ pound toddler, one-handed, in the stroller. Then I remembered that I had one of Gavin's "motorcycles" in the car (really, its a folding tricycle.) He joyfully rode his motorcycle into the hospital while I pushed Baby. I handled shizz!

The rest is just a fluke. Despite all the waiting both boys just did great. I can't take any credit for that. Gavin was busy but that's just normal. Madden got a little antsy in his seat but that's just normal too. I didn't even cry when the doctor took out the 10 staples that had been in my stomach for a week. Not even when the largest incision ripped open when he pulled out the staples.

Treats all around! We stopped for an iced coffee (for momma) and a smoothie (for Gavin) because I handled shizz! I was so proud of myself!

It was the car ride home where things started to come unraveled.

Gavin wanted his shoes and socks off. He'd ask for my help, I'd reach back and he'd pull his foot away. Then he'd cry because he wanted his shoes and socks off. He wouldn't drink the $2.50 smoothie because I poured it into his sippy cup instead of letting him drink it out of the cup it came in. Then when we got home, Gavin lost his shizz when I had to feed Madden. He cried for about 15 minutes straight. I finally sat him next to me on the couch and watched some tv.

But...none of that matters because I handled shizz outside of the house!!!

*No pics on this post because it was hard enough to handle shizz without taking pics.*

No comments:

Post a Comment